Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Blogging Advice

I know it may see strange for an inexperienced and infrequent blogger such as myself to offer advice on blogging but trust me. on this bit of advice I am well versed.

STOP READING BLOGGING TIPS!

 In a well intentioned attempt to write better, more regular blog posts I have unintentionally given up blogging altogether to become a full time 'How to Blog' reader. I have purchased books, e-books, and googled every bit of blogging advice the web has to offer. I will also be taking a blogging class at the end of November. Somehow I became convinced that all of that reading would magically become experience and knowledge which in turn would magically become a regular, brilliant blog. Voila!

Photo: Lauren Burke/Getty Taken from: Books Blog

There are so many rules and formulas out there and all of that information paralyzed me. I decided I would just copy the style of my favorite blogs to read and be done. Wait, all of my favorite blogs have different styles. Some follow the rules and formulas and some don't but I still enjoy them either way. The one thing they all have in common is that they are there for me to read.

Eureka! So if you are worried about whether your blog is what it should be and you want to seek advice on how to improve it, just remember one thing - if you are reading blogging advice then you are not writing blog posts.

Do I have proof that just writing posts w/out reading every last bit of advice ever offered will work? Well, yes and no.

Yes, I have been replacing reading blog tips for writing posts that I can use as I need them. Of course some of them are crap and I will never use them (I am sure the successful bloggers out there can reassure me that as I write more posts then fewer of them will be trash), but now I have back ups to post when I am too busy to write.

No, this is only like the fourth post since I had this epiphany and I have no new followers or significant traffic or any evidence that this will improve as I continue to blog.
I do have more comments though. Of course there was nothing for a reader to comment on before but I still think I'm right.

Here are my top 5 favorite blogs for reference...
1. http://megansbeadeddesigns.wordpress.com/
2. http://www.stylebubble.co.uk/
3. http://thebloggess.com/
4. http://effingdykes.blogspot.com/
5. http://amandapalmer.tumblr.com/

I love discovering new blogs to read so share your favorites or your own in the comments!
(this is one of the rules)



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for including me in your list. :-)

    I think as with all advice, it's only valuable if it's implemented. We can read all of the blogging advice, writing tips, and selling tricks in the world, but they are only helpful if we can glean from them the parts that apply to use personally--and actually put those parts to good use.

    As we become more experienced in our field (blogging) it becomes easier to sort through the advice to find what's helpful (and identify what's crap.)

    As someone who occasionally writes blogging advice, I have to disagree with you to a point. ;-) But I can also say it's important to put that knowledge into practice and frikin' BLOG ALREADY.

    Nothing will improve your blogging ability than the act itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I do use the tips I have read as I blog and most of it is useful but it definitely became a great excuse for me to avoid actually implementing anything.

      I should also admit that your advice (and lessons learned) on business, blogging (notice some of those tips implemented here), social media, building confidence, and life is why I love your blog. So you are right. I will not actually stop reading the advice but I have stopped seeking it out every time I sit down to blog. :)

      Delete